MTSS - Parent Request for Assistance
Sometimes, as a parent or legal guardian, you may feel like your student is struggling to achieve academic or behavioral success at school. In the majority of cases, the teachers at Altama Elementary School identify students struggling academically and/or behaviorally and implement interventions to support progress towards expected standards of success through a systematic process known as the Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS). However, there are rare instances when you, as a concerned parent or legal guardian, need to advocate for your student. If this is you, please continue reading to find out what you can do to request additional assistance for your student to achieve academic and/or behavioral success.
- FIRST: Consider the following questions to determine if you feel like your student requires further assistance to be successful in school.
- Does your student consistently earn failing grades in one or more subjects?
- Does your student bring home or communicate failing grades on a significant number of their classwork, tests, or homework?
- Does your student become easily frustrated with most academic tasks, classwork, or homework?
- Does your student demonstrate difficulty reading grade-level or below-grade-level texts and/or solving grade-level or below-grade-level math word and/or computation problems?
- Does your student demonstrate difficulty with controlling his or her emotions or behaviors?
- Does your student regularly bring home Behavior Tracking Forms or notes in his or her agenda outlining frequent problematic behaviors?
- Does your student act out or become easily angered in certain situations?
- SECOND: If you answered YES to one, some, or all of these questions, then consider requesting additional assistance for your student through one of the following options
- Option 1: Print the Parent/Legal Guardian Request for Assistance Form (link below), complete it, and submit it to Altama Elementary School front office.
- Option 2: Visit Altama Elementary School’s front office, request a Parent/Legal Guardian Request for Assistance Form, complete it, and return it to the front office.
- Option 3: Print this form from Altama’s website, complete it, and return it to the school.
- Option 4: Call Altama Elementary School’s front office (912-264-3563) and tell the individual who answered your call that you would like a Parent/Legal Guardian Request for Assistance Form be sent home with your student. A form will be provided to your student, so look for it when he or she returns home from school. Complete the form, send it to school with your student, and have your student submit it to his or her teacher.
- THIRD: Once you have submitted a Parent/Legal Guardian Request for Assistance Form and submitted to the school, a review committee will begin the systematic process to determine what additional assistance your student requires. Your student’s teacher will communicate with you during this phase of the process.