Altama Elementary School
& Ms. Mary Catherine Lyons (Media Specialist)
In addition to regularly scheduled weekly classes for grades K - 2nd, the Media Center provides access at any time during designated hours for all students, teachers, administrators, and school community members.
Teachers are encouraged to collaborate with the media specialist when planning research projects or seeking supplemental resources for instructional purposes and prior to scheduling whole class visits outside their class's scheduled weekly time.
Policies and Procedures
- Teachers should sign up on the ALT Media Center Outlook calendar for whole class visits in addition to regularly-scheduled weekly Media Center time.
- Teachers must accompany students in whole class visits other than weekly Media Specials times.
- Students may visit individually or in small groups (LIMIT –2 AT A TIME ) with written permission from the teacher.
- Students must bring their ID CARD and a LIBRARY PASS stating date, time, and purpose of visit to enter the Media Center.
- Students/classes enter through double doors in front of Circulation Desk and exit through door closest to front office.
- Return books in Book Return at Circulation Desk upon entering—do not place on Circulation Desk.
- Students in grades 4 - 5 may check out two (2) books for a period of two (2) weeks. K-3 students may check out one (1) book for a period of one (1) week.
- Students are responsible for all books and materials they check out.
- Books overdue more than 90 days will be considered lost, and a lost book fine may be charged.
- Students with outstanding lost book or damaged book fines will not be allowed to check out books until their account is cleared.
- One student at a time at the checkout computer—wait your turn!
- Internet use is for educational purposes only according to the Acceptable Use Policy.
- Violators will lose media center privileges as determined by media specialist and/or administration.
- No food, drink, or gum allowed in the media center unless special permission is granted by the media specialist.
- Student behavior expectations in the classroom apply as well in the media center.
SOAR - Be Safe – Be Organized – Accept Responsibility – Be Respectful